The food items that you love to eat, firstly come in contact with your teeth which convert them into a simple and easily digestible form. As you crave for more varieties of food items, the teeth from the food could experience all-new effects viz. sweet, sour, salty, hot and cold etc.
With the food, there could be ingestion of various microbes in the body as well. These could result in the decay of your teeth which is very painful in the long run. Added to it are the improper brushing habits of the people that add to their teeth woes.
Tooth decay is the damage of your teeth due to the attack of bacteria in the mouth. These bacteria form acids that damage the layers of your teeth and could lead to the formation of cavities. If not recognized early, these could further lead to pain, infection and loss of teeth.
Causes of dental decays:
Dental decays get triggered in humans due to the following causes:
- Eating foods that are highly rich in carbohydrates and sugars. These are essential promoters of bacteria in the mouth
- Improper brushing habits of human beings
- Not receiving enough amount of fluoride. Fluoride helps in preventing decay of tooth by making it resistant towards the attack of germs
- Improper production of saliva in the mouth. Saliva can wash chemicals and food particles that get stuck to the mouth
- Due to diabetes at any age. Presence of excess of sugar in humans could trigger the bacterial activity which affects the human teeth
- Due to smoking habits in humans
- Due to the consumption of tobacco
- Due to the sharing of food or utensils with the tooth-affected person
Effects of dental decays:
Dental decay could have various negative effects like:
- Highly painful teeth which inhibit chewing of food items
- Formation of an insoluble layer on the teeth known as plaque
- Swelling in the gums or a sore tooth
- Bad breath or a bad taste in the mouth
- Discoloured teeth
- Loss of teeth
- Bleeding gums
- Transfer of microbes to other parts of the body and in turn trigger of many other infectious diseases
Prevention of dental decay:
Thankfully, with the previous knowledge of dental decay, we could help our body stay away from it. You could adopt the following methods to prevent tooth decay:
- You can prevent tooth decay with the rigorous care of your teeth. Adopt proper brushing habits and brush your teeth at least twice a day. Always use toothpaste that contains fluoride in it.
- Do not consume an excessive amount of sweets and carbohydrates which enable germ build-up in the teeth. Also, prohibit their usage at night.
- Various fruit juices such as cranberry juice etc. help eradicate tooth decays. You could include these in your diet.
- Take turns to meet a dentist regularly so that if any chance of tooth disorder appears, you can prevent in its early stage.
Longer life of your teeth means longer and healthier overall life. Therefore, leave no stone unturned to protect them from decays which consume your teeth rigorously.