From its usage in preparation of desserts to tarts and even those stimulating ice-creams, blueberries are one of the tastiest fruits of the world that find immense culinary uses in all these and more. The rich, blue colour with a ravishing flavour filled inside those small fruits is the one that lures the eyes and taste buds of many, almost all across the globe.
However, besides the culinary uses, blueberries have created their own sweet space even in the remedial industries. This is because these small fruits have many wondrous nutrients that are capable of benefitting the human body in various regards.
Here we would throw significant light on the miraculous properties of these blue fruits that have worked to prevent and cure innumerable disorders in the human body. This would include the following major points:
- Blueberry and its commercial forms nutritional value of blueberries
- Health benefits of blueberries
- Side effects of blueberries, if any
Blueberries And Their Commercial Forms:
It would not be an exaggeration if you tell the sweet blueberries to be the ‘superfruits’ since they are brimming with imperative nutrients. Following this, these tropical, perennial fruitshave also been used to convert them to many of the commercial forms.
You could get in to find the frozen forms of the organic fruits, which are available in boxes all around the year. Since the blueberries have a quick-perishing nature, to keep them fresh and available throughout the year, these are available in the frozen forms as well.
Organic blueberry juice and concentrates are also some of the commercial forms that are said to be the liquid incarnation of the same healthy fruits. Organic blueberry juice is the extract of rich and succulent berries that contains almost all the nutrients, similar to the parent fruits. It is also a more concentrated form of receiving the rich nutrients that you desire from the organic fruits.
Similarly, you could also get hold of the organic blueberry capsules, which too are formed of the extracts of the fruits and help with nutrients to those who are a bit sensitive with their taste buds.
Nutritional Value of Blueberry:
As mentioned before, blueberries have been termed as superfruits, owing to the astonishing content of various kinds of nutrients that they possess. This includes various vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and other phytochemicals that have various imperative functions to perform in the human body. The nutritional content of blueberry fruits is as tabulated below:
Table 1: Nutritional Value of Blueberries per 100 g
|Principle||Nutrient Value||Percentage of RDA|
|Total Fat||0.33 g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber||2.4 g||6%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.124 mg||2.5%|
|Vitamin A||54 IU||2%|
|Vitamin C||9.7 mg||1.5%|
|Vitamin E||0.57 mg||4%|
|Vitamin K||19.3 µg||13%|
(Source: USDA National Nutrient database)
To offer you more of amazement, it has been found out that 100 grams of organic blueberries compose of just 57 calories. Due to this, they have no contribution to increasing your body-weight when you have them in any of the forms.
Health Benefits Of Blueberries:
Whether you take the organic fruits or these in any of the commercial forms, blueberries are one of the most helpful fruits for various benefits to the human body. Some of these areas outlined below:
- Maintenance Of Bones: Blueberry and its juice have a handsome amalgamation of various elements that are necessary for the health of the human skeletal system. This includes minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, zinc, manganese and antioxidants such as Vitamin K etc. that have their sweet role to play for the functioning of human bones. While zinc and iron could play crucial roles to upkeep the elasticity and strength of bones, Vitamin K prevents fractures in bones by improving the absorption of calcium and preventing its loss from the body.
- Blood Pressure Maintenance: Blueberries and its juice help to secure the blood pressure of the human body by providing elements such as magnesium and potassium that regulate and decrease the increased blood pressure. Apart from this, the low level of sodium in it makes it efficient in eliminating any contribution to an increase in blood pressure.
- Prevention Of Heart Diseases: Blueberries have an efficient content of fibres, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, folate, potassium and other phytonutrients that lower the amount of cholesterol in the blood to decrease the risk of heart diseases. Additionally, the Vitamin B6 and folate help prevent the buildup of a compound known as homocysteine, which when accumulates in excess, could damage the blood vessels and could be a reason for the occurrence of heart diseases.
- Mental Health: It has been proved in researches that blueberries have compounds that could eliminate the risk of decline in the cognitive ability of human beings as well as assist in the prevention of Parkinson’s disease. The supplements from the fruit could also help improve short-term memory loss and coordination etc.
- Digestion Aid: Blueberries are bubbling with dietary fibres which could aid in the digestion process of the human body. These prevent the digestive tract from constipation and help in effective absorption of nutrient s in the same. However, the content of fibres is a bit low in the organic juice and supplements.
- Fighting Wrinkles: The support system of the human skin depends on collagen in the body, and this collagen, in turn, depends on Vitamin C. Blueberries and its supplements have an efficient content of Vitamin C that promotes the ability of collagen. Due to this, it could help prevent and fight the wrinkles, thereby promoting the overall texture of the skin.
- Blood Sugar Control: Blueberry fruits and its supplements are very effective in controlling the amount of sugar in human blood. These are composed of various dietary fibres that prevent absorption of sugars. Additionally, they have a very meagre content of sugar within them which does not add to the existing content of the human body.
Side-Effects Of The Blueberries:
Blueberries are one of the safest and organic fruits that do not generally offer any kinds of side-effects. These could be taken at almost all levels of age and with any kind of disorder in the body. However, a bit of precaution is always required when you consume these or their supplements in some specific conditions. Some of these include:
- Pregnancy And Lactation: While you are pregnant or lactating, you would require the prior advice of your doctor before you consume the supplements related to blueberries. Since this is a period of utmost caution, blueberry juices and capsules could be forbidden to be consumed for the extra care to the new life within or with you.
- Diabetes: As it is already known that blueberries and their supplements are highly helpful in reducing the effect of diabetes in the human body, if you take any sorts of medications relating to the disorder, you would need prior advice of a doctor. Blueberry juices, when taken with diabetes medication, could considerably affect the blood sugar in the humans, leading to a condition known as hypoglycemia, or a condition with less than the required amount of sugar in the body.
- Before Surgeries: Blueberries could affect blood glucose levels and could also hinder in blood sugar control during and after surgery. This is why it is advised to stop using blueberries or its supplements at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery is scheduled for you.
Disclaimer: The information provided above is based on the internet researches and does not intend to diagnose, cure or treat any kind of disease, illness or disorder. You are requested to take do a pre-research yourself before making use of any of the organic products. Also, if you contain or suspect to contain any disorders, kindly consult a doctor before making any use of the organic products.