Out of innumerable known and unknown ‘trace-elements’ Vitamins that you take with your food, you could consider Vitamin D as the most readily available one. This is due to the fact that the human body could synthesize this imperative nutrient with the help of inexhaustible sunlight.
Still though, it has been found out in researches that many people of the world lack the recommended amount of Vitamin D in their body, which has led to innumerable deficiency syndromes.
This article is based on the general queries that the people have regarding the intake of Vitamin D and it also informs how to effectively secure the body with an efficient replenishment of the same.
Why Is Vitamin D So Imperative For The Human Body?
Among various other nutrients and antioxidants, Vitamin D occupies a special place in terms of human body functioning. It is imperative for the regulation of calcium and phosphate levels inside the body and thus renders strength to the human bones. Apart from this, it also participates in body metabolism and empowers the muscular system of the body.
Lack of this imperative nutrient in the body could result in varying disorders according to the age, such as rickets in children and osteomalacia in adults, which in turn result in softening of the bones. Due to these, bone fractures are one of the common symptoms that occur even at meager accidents of human body.
Osteoporosis is another perilous disorder that could occur due to lack of Vitamin D in the body.
What Is The Amount Of Vitamin D That Is Needed Per Day By The Humans?
When you ask this question to a health expert, the most probable and the general answer that you could get is about 20 micrograms. However, the amount of Vitamin D intake could very much according to the age of the human beings.
The recommended daily intake of Vitamin D could be deduced from the chart below:
Table 1: Recommended Daily Intake Of Vitamin D According To The Age And Body Conditions
|0–12 months||400 IU (10 mcg)||400 IU (10 mcg)|
|1–13 years||600 IU (15 mcg)||600 IU (15 mcg)|
|14–18 years||600 IU (15 mcg)||600 IU (15 mcg)||600 IU (15 mcg)||600 IU(15 mcg)|
|19–50 years||600 IU (15 mcg)||600 IU (15 mcg)||600 IU (15 mcg)||600 IU (15 mcg)|
|51–70 years||600 IU (15 mcg)||600 IU (15 mcg)|
|>70 years||800 IU (20 mcg)||800 IU (20 mcg)|
Here IU denotes International Units and mcg represents micrograms.
Apart from these, the general conditions of your body could also be a determining factor for the intake of Vitamin D. If the nutrient absorption capacity of your body is low, physicians could also offer you supplements for its replenishment.
How Much Does The Sunlight Contribute In Refilling Vitamin D In The Body?
Honestly speaking, the amount of Vitamin D that your body could synthesize with the help of sunlight is next to negligible. However, it do depends on various factors such as weather conditions, time of the day or the year, latitude, your clothes, your age, your skin type, the amount of time you spend in the sunlight and the use of sunscreen lotions on your skin.
But even with the most favorable conditions, the amount that the sunlight does to your body is far too less than the amount of Vitamin D you get from your diet. Moreover, too much exposure of the body to sun could result in various skin disorders due to the harmful radiations from it.
What Are The Best Food Sources For Vitamin D?
Even though this natural Vitamin is available in gratis, there are very less sources among the diet elements that could fulfill and effective amount according to the requirement.
But still, you could obtain the required amount of Vitamin D from food products such as fatty fishes (cod, tuna, mackerel, salmon, swordfish and sardines), cod liver oil, fish eggs, beef liver and egg yolks etc.
Among the vegan sources, dairy products such as milk, cheese and yogurt etc. are the prime ones to obtain Vitamin D naturally. Apart from these, orange juice and cereals could also offer some amount of Vitamin D to the body.
What Are Vitamin D Supplements?
When the human body is unable to absorb an effective amount of Vitamin D from the food that you consume, these are offered in more of a simplified form, in the form of supplements for their easy absorption.
These supplements could be obtained in various forms such as tablets and pills. However, many Liquid Vitamin D3 supplements are also available which offer a simplified form of the nutrient for easy digestion and effective absorption in the body.
If your body shows symptoms of Vitamin D deficiency, you could efficiently take these on the prior approval of your physician or health expert.
Could Vitamin D Be Dangerous When Taken In Excess?
According to the parameters from the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), the tolerable amount of Vitamin D intake is 100 microgram for people above 11 years and 50 micrograms for those below the age of 10.
An excess of intake of this could only result with an excessive intake of Vitamin D containing foods or an excessive intake of supplements. Due to this, there could be triggered symptoms such as kidney stones and calcification in the body.
Therefore, always try to take an effective amount of Vitamin D in the designated quantities and while you wish to take its supplements, get them approved by an experienced doctor for a forever fruitful health of your bones and muscles.
It is a well considered fact that Vitamins are highly essential for the body functioning. These are the antioxidants that are available in wide varieties.
Among these, Vitamin D is one of the highly essential nutrients that are required by the body. This is found scarcely in food items such as dairy products and sea fishes like mackerel and tuna etc.
Symptoms of Vitamin D deficiency:
Though this Vitamin is needed in a small amount in the body, you could not deny its usage. When there is a lack of Vitamin D, you could experience symptoms such as:
1. Pain sensation in the bones and muscles
2. Weakness of the bones, joints and muscles which could be followed by ruptures
3. A sense of sluggishness and fatigue in the body which does not even gets removed in spite of adequate sleeps
Causes of Vitamin D deficiency:
There are a variety of causes due to which this vital nutrient could go missing from your body. Some of these are as follows:
1. Lack of consumption of Vitamin D rich foods such as egg yolks, milk, meat-liver, fish and fish oils etc. These foods though contain a less amount of this nutrient but it is sufficient for a healthy living.
2. Sunlight is a good source of natural Vitamin D. If your body is not or rarely exposed to the sunlight, this important nutrient could go missing in your body.
3. If your skin is dark in color, the pigment melanin is in excess, which hinders the synthesis of Vitamin D in the skin. This problem could also occur in older people that have a dark skin.
4. Vitamin D might be synthesized in the body in inactive form but due to disability of your kidneys, these are not able to convert in the active forms.
5. Your digestive system is not able to absorb Vitamin D from the sources rich in it.
Uses of Vitamin D:
It might be clear from above that Vitamin D is highly essential for an effective body functioning. Few of its uses in the body are as follows:
1. The most important function of Vitamin D is its regulation of levels of Calcium and Phosphorus. These nutrients are highly required for effective development and functioning of bones
2. Vitamin D is an efficient fighter to many kinds of heart diseases.
3. It could also be used to shred extra pounds from your body.
4. It is responsible for the regulation of blood pressure in the body.
5. Vitamin D is effective in maintaining the blood sugar level in the blood and thereby prevents from diseases such as diabetes etc.
Sources of Vitamin D:
1. The most competent and natural source of Vitamin D is sunlight. Barely a 10-minute exposure to the sunlight could replenish the Vitamin D requirement in your body.
2. Dairy food products such as milk and cheese are rich in Vitamin D. Others such as oranges, nuts, eggs, meat products and cereals may also contain this vitamin.
3. Various fruit drinks and supplements such as Vitamin D sprays could be used that fulfill its needs.